Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Simple Lunch

Grilled halloumi over sauteed spinach and toasted Israeli couscous--now doesn't that
sound fancy? In actuality, this tasty meal was whipped up in all of five minutes, thanks to the portion of leftover couscous I had from last night's dinner.

Halloumi, for those of you that have never tried it, is a Greek sheep's milk cheese that has a very unique texture. Its squeaky, almost styrofoam-esque characteristics allow the cheese to retain its shape when grilled or fried. I know that "styrofoam-esque" is not the most appetizing description, so you will have to take my word for it when I tell you that it is a pleasant eating experience.

Halloumi is on the salty side, and produces oil when grilled, so no salt or additional fat is necessary when cooking it. I like to sprinkle a little crush red pepper and heat it up until crispy on the outside in a small nonstick pan. The spinach I just quickly sauteed with a grating or two of garlic, then piled on the reheated couscous. Top that with two or three thin slices of halloumi and you have yourself a very satisfying lunch. Give it a try!


Mrs. C.

No comments: